Sunday 5 January 2014

WRITING: Makeup, A Blessing Or A Curse?

I should think it was yesterday or the day before that I saw something interesting on Facebook. A friend from high school had put up a status which intrigued me. This is what she wrote, "The best trick the devil ever did was making women believe they look better with make up on." This had me thinking. 

The follow is an extract from wikipedia under the heading History Of Cosmetics:

"The history of cosmetics spans at least 6000 years of human history, and almost every society on earth. Some argue that cosmetic body art was the earliest form of ritual in human culture, dating over 100,000 years ago from the African Middle Stone Age. The evidence for this comes in the form of utilised red mineral pigments (red ochre) including crayons associated with the emergence of Homo sapiens in Africa.[1][2][3][4]
Archaeological evidence of cosmetics certainly dates from ancient Egypt and Greece."

I know makeup has been used for a very long time, I just didn't know how long. I won't get into that. After all, this isn't a history lesson. I'll pose this question. Why are we defined by what we have on our face? Is this the epitome of beauty? I have nothing against makeup. I think it's safe to say that many women would agree with me. I suppose men too. My take on makeup is that it's supposed to enhance your features. I remembering getting that from somewhere but I can't just put a finger on it at the moment. 

I think the worry is when one becomes dependent on makeup. There is no harm in makeup but when you become so attached to it that you aren't free to move without it, then there is a problem. I'm no dermatologist but I like to think that your face needs to breathe. Personally, I don't happen to think always smearing it with makeup is a very healthy choice. That's not to say you shouldn't try and groom your face and make it "attractive". How about you take a day off and give your makeup brushes a rest :) You know, have yourself a breather. 

My makeup is pretty basic.I wear eyeliner and mascara and occasionally some shadow on my eyelids. If I need to step it up a notch, I wear foundation too but that's pretty much once in a while. I forgot, I also add colour to my lips too. My eyes are fairly small and I feel like they look much smaller without them. I feel kind of funny without any liner or mascara but hey, that's me in all my small eyed short lashes glory :) I hope you too will be able to embrace yourself in all your glory :)


2 comments: